Dundee 0-1 Accies, 4th May

Accies media web reporter Mark Gillespie was at Dens Park for our win on Saturday…

Ladbrokes Premiership

Dens Park

Saturday 4th May 2019 at 3pm

 Dundee 0 Hamilton Academical 1


Tony Andreu’s 82nd minute spot kick sealed a huge three points and moves us four points clear of the play-off spot with just two games to play. We now just need to avoid defeat in Paisley on Monday 13th May to secure top league football for a sixth consecutive season.

Andreu’s first goal since returning to Accies on loan was enough to relegate our opponents in front of their home fans. After a tense opening hour of the match Accies left the best until last for the third week running. Manager Brian Rice was delighted with such a massive win.

“I don’t normally say it, but I think today we deserved to win the game.”, he said post-match.

“The first half was a bit edgy with so much at stake for both sides. But I thought in the second half we had numerous chances. There was just that quality missing in the final ball at times. Tony showed great composure and confidence from the spot. I’m delighted for him.”

“It’s in our hands now. We know St Mirren will be fighting all the way for Oran, but my lads are battling their corner. They have great spirit and determination.”

We made one change from last weekend, with Reegan Mimnaugh making his sixth senior appearance, replacing Dougie Imrie in midfield. Ziggy Gordon was making his 200th appearance for the club.

The hosts made three changes from last time out, bringing in Darren O’Dea in for Ralph in defence. John O’Sullivan and James Horsfield replaced Jess Curran and Craig Curran in Jim McIntyre’s starting line-up.

There wasn’t a lot of silky football on show in a niggly opening 45, but Accies could have been in front on eight minutes, Ogkmpoe getting a nod on Andreu’s free kick with Dieng in no man’s land, It drifted just wide of the Dundee post.

Dundee were slow out of the blocks, Ethan Robson with their first effort, just wide of Fulton’s near post on 16 minutes.

The Accies defence held firm, with Dundee struggling to carve us open. Scott Wright was on target from a 25-yard free kick on 34 minutes, but Fulton held on.

Five minutes later Robson tried to find a way through, dashing into the Accies box, his shot blocked away by Gogic. From the rebound Cammy Kerr fizzed a shot just over the Accies bar.

Dundee hadn’t cut us open, and instead Accies were almost in front two minutes from the break, Andreu flicking Darian MacKinnon clean through, but Dieng was quick off his line to block the skipper’s effort.

Dundee knew they were going down if scores remained the same. They came out gunning in the second half, but the best they had to show was a Craig Curran shot deflected just over the bar on 57 minutes.

A win was just as crucial for us, and the game began to turn our way around the hour mark. We came so close to the opener on 59 minutes, as Mimnaugh delivered a corner to the far post, McGowan’s header cleared off the line by Horsfield.

Accies were finding pockets of space as Dundee pushed forward. Martin sent Andreu clean through on 61 minutes. Either side of Dieng was a certain goal, but the shot was straight at the Dundee keeper who hung on.

We brought Mickel Miller on to try and exploit space out wide. He was through wide of goal on 73 minutes, but his shot was smothered away. Minutes later Scott Martin was just wide with a curling 25 yarder. Accies were knocking on the door.

Only Dieng’s reactions thwarted George Oakley after Andreu’s flick put him in on goal on 81 minutes, as the pressure continued.

The big moment finally arrived on 82 minutes, Mickel Miller fouled on the left side of the box by Ryan McGowan. There were no complaints from Dundee. Tony Andreu stepped up to fire home from the spot and celebrate with a jubilant travelling  support behind the goal.

Dundee were staring at the drop and the heads went down. Accies could have made sure on 85 minutes, Dieng pulling of a fine point-blank stop from Miller.


Dundee: Dieng, Kerr, Woods, Kusunga (C Curran, 45), O’Dea, O’Sullivan (J Curran 78 ), Wright, McGowan, Robson, Nelson (Miler, 66), Horsfield; Subs Unused: Hamilton, Hadenius, Moore

Accies: Fulton, McGowan, McMann, Gordon, Oakley (Sowah, 90+1), Gogic, Mackinnon (c) (Imrie, 84), Andreu, Martin, Mimnaugh, Ogkmpoe (Miller, 66); Subs Unused: Marsden, L Smith, Hamilton, Davies

Accies Cautions: Mimnaugh, 33

Accies Goals: Andreu (pen), 82

Referee: Nick Walsh; Assistants: Graeme Stewart & David Doig; 4th Official: Craig Napier

Attendance: 4622 (294 Accies)